The Bankruptcy Timeline
What can I expect when filing for bankruptcy?
The bankruptcy process involves a sequence of steps that occur prior to and after your petition has been filed. It is important to understand how this process works so you are prepared for each action. An Orange County bankruptcy attorney can provide you with in-depth information on the bankruptcy timeline, and will be able to answer any questions you have about the process.
A Chapter 7 bankruptcy will usually take three to six months, and involve the following sequence of events:
- Completion of a credit counseling class within six months of filing. These classes are usually conducted over the Internet or by phone.
- Within 3 months of filing you will need to stop taking cash advances on your credit cards or making luxury item purchases over $550.00.
- Once your petition is filed, the court will issue an automatic stay that will stop creditor harassment, foreclosure, the garnishing of your wages and repossession.
- Within 15 days after you have filed you will be mailed a Notice of Commencement of Case, which will include the date and time of your hearing. Your creditors will receive the same notice.
- A month after you have filed, a Statement of Intention will need to be filed stating whether you intend to keep or turn over your collateral property.
- Within 40 days of your filing, there will be a hearing with your creditors, where your petition will be reviewed and discussed.
- Forty-five days after filing, a statement must be sent to the court that acknowledges you understand your bankruptcy filing options. Your personal income data must also be submitted with the statement.
- Before your case concludes, you will be required to take a financial management course, which is also delivered by phone or over the Internet.
1st California Law, Inc. is a highly skilled Santa Ana bankruptcy law firm that can provide valuable legal assistance and support throughout your bankruptcy case. We will conduct a thorough review of your financial situation and discuss all of your concerns. Please schedule a free consultation to find out more about our services and the dedicated legal advocacy we provide for our clients.
Orange County Bankruptcy Representation
Choosing the right bankruptcy law firm is important. Every client's case is unique and should be addressed as such. We place a strong emphasis on high quality customer service and always being available to our clients. You can contact us by phone, email or text and we will promptly respond to your inquiry. We schedule appointments in the evening and on weekends, and even meet with our clients at their home.
Our goal is to satisfy any needs that you have and help you resolve your financial situation so that you can enjoy a debt-free life. Contact us today!
Amazing law firm to work with, very knowledgeable, & very kind. They made filing for bankruptcy easy. Kevin is a amazing lawyer, would definitely recommend to friends and family.- Evelyn V.
Kevin is the best! He made us feel at ease during a very stressful time in our lives. His upbeat personality and thorough explanations made this whole process effortless. His communication was on point and the cost for his services was absolutely reasonable. If I ever need legal service again in the future, he is my go to guy. Love him!- Elizabeth C.
Nobody ever hope to find themselves filing for bankruptcy but when I did, my first call with Kevin put me in such ease that I knew I found the right person to help me.- Leslie I.
Kevin was absolutely fantastic to work with. He made the entire process of filing my case approachable and much less stressful than I anticipated. He was responsive, professional, and direct throughout the entire process, and personally accompanied me at my hearing. I would highly recommend his services.- Ashley T.
Kevin Kunde was one of the best bankruptcy attorneys to work with. He was kind, informative, courteous and very knowledgeable. I would recommend 1st California Law and Kevin Kunde services to anyone seeking debt relief assistance. Bankruptcy can be a very scary situation and I through out the entire process I felt well guided and taken care of by 1st California Law. Thank you for everything.- Melissa L.
I recently filed for my Chapter 7 through Mr. Kevin’s law firm and I could not be happier with his services. All of my concerns and worries were eliminated when Mr. Kevin thoroughly explains the process of bankruptcy filing and court hearing. The actual court hearing is very simple and to the point, just as Mr.Kevin said. In all, i highly recommend Mr.Kevin as an attorney for anyone who is in need of financial debt relief. He is kind, transparent, and dedicated to his profession. I'm glad i have had a chance to work with Kevin.- Bruce
It was the best experience ever with Kevin, I consulted several attorneys regarding my bankruptcy before I went to Kevin, and Kevin was very helpful and also the fees is very good. It was so easy to prepare my filling with him and he kept me updated with everything and tell me everything I need to know even if I didn't ask for it. Kevin show up with me in court and he was very helpful in getting over this stressful situation easily and smoothly, highly recommended him and his office if you look for any financial relief advice or help. Thanks Kevin.- AA
I'm 100% satisfied with his service I highly recommend to anyone!- Vivian
A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.