The Bankruptcy Timeline
What can I expect when filing for bankruptcy?
The bankruptcy process involves a sequence of steps that occur prior to and after your petition has been filed. It is important to understand how this process works so you are prepared for each action. An Orange County bankruptcy attorney can provide you with in-depth information on the bankruptcy timeline, and will be able to answer any questions you have about the process.
A Chapter 7 bankruptcy will usually take three to six months, and involve the following sequence of events:
- Completion of a credit counseling class within six months of filing. These classes are usually conducted over the Internet or by phone.
- Within 3 months of filing you will need to stop taking cash advances on your credit cards or making luxury item purchases over $550.00.
Once your petition is filed, the court will issue an automatic stay that will stop creditor harassment, foreclosure, the garnishing of your wages and
- Within 15 days after you have filed you will be mailed a Notice of Commencement of Case, which will include the date and time of your hearing. Your creditors will receive the same notice.
- A month after you have filed, a Statement of Intention will need to be filed stating whether you intend to keep or turn over your collateral property.
- Within 40 days of your filing, there will be a hearing with your creditors, where your petition will be reviewed and discussed.
- Forty-five days after filing, a statement must be sent to the court that acknowledges you understand your bankruptcy filing options. Your personal income data must be submitted with the statement.
- Before your case concludes, you will be required to take a financial management course, which is also delivered by phone or over the Internet.
1st California Law is a highly skilled Santa Ana bankruptcy law firm that can provide valuable legal assistance and support throughout your bankruptcy case. We will conduct a thorough review of your financial situation and discuss all of your concerns. Please schedule a free consultation to find out more about our services and the dedicated legal advocacy we provide for our clients.
Orange County Bankruptcy Representation
Choosing the right bankruptcy law firm is important. Every client's case is unique and should be addressed as such. We place a strong emphasis on high quality customer service and always being available to our clients. You can contact us by phone, email or text and we will promptly respond to your inquiry. We schedule appointments in the evening and on weekends, and even meet with our clients at their home. Our goal is to satisfy any needs that you have and help you resolve your financial situation so that you can enjoy a debt-free life.